Dr. Christos Maravelias
Work Package Leader 5
He has attended special training courses in:
"Advanced Course on Acoustical Oceanography" organized and funded by European Union, European Community MAST II Science Program and the Institute Computational and Applied Mathematics of the University of Crete, (6-23 June 1993).
Seminar/Workshop: "Use and Value of the Seabed Mapping Technique 'RoxAnn®", funded by European Community MAST II Science Program and was organized by the Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Sciences Association of the U.K. and the University of Wales in 27 and 28 of March 1995.
"Advanced Course in the Application of Bayesian Methodology in Fisheries", organized by the Imperial College, London, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK, 25-27 October 2004.
At present, he is Research Director (grade A) in the Institute of Marine Biological Resources and Inland Waters of the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research His research interests include:
- Population Dynamics, Stock Assessment and Fisheries Management • Fleet dynamics and capacity, fishers' behaviour and fishing strategies
- Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries (EAF)
- Effects of Environment on Fish Resources - Fisheries Oceanography
- Fisheries statistical modelling (Geostatistics, GAM/GLM, Time-Series analysis and forecasting ARIMA, Artificial Neural Networks)
- Bioeconomic modelling using BEMTOOL and Mefisto and econometric methodologies (e.g. Data Envelopment Analysis, Random Utility Models, Stochastic Distance Function)
He has been the Fisheries Expert of the 7th Framework Programme, European Commission, Directorate General for Research and Technological Development (DG RTD) of the European Union, Unit E4, Brussels, Belgium.
He has participated in more than 30 national and international projects and has been national project leader in more than 10 International projects.
He is Editor of ICES Journal of Marine Science, Reviewer of NOAA scientific projects and referee in the following international journals: Marine Ecology Progress Series, Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, ICES Journal of Marine Science, Fisheries Oceanography, Journal of Fish Biology, Fisheries Research, Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Sciences, PlosONE.
He has contributed more than 50 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 4 books and book chapters, as well as more than 70 other publications (i.e., conference proceedings, special publications, newspaper and magazines) and co-authored more than 20 technical reports.
Publications in international journals (ISI science citation index)